Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox AWD I came off the interstate…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox AWD I came off the interstate and the engine died. I restarted it and it was making a knocking and ticking sound and it had a hard time to stay running. No lights had been on up to this point. Suddenly the oil light came on and I pulled into the first gas station I came to. I checked the oil and there was none on the dipstick. I have never had to add oil before normal oil changes. I didnt see anything leaking. I checked the coolant and dont see any oil in there. I added oil and the noise continues.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started and the noise is defenitly coming from the motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do many of the normal repairs on my vehicles but I do not have to tools or know how to open up and engine. I have not tried anything so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it.

3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

If you ran it low on oil and you now have this distinct knock coming from the engine, the likelihood is high that the engine sustained damage that will be very expensive to repair, generally necessitating replacement over repair just due to cost considerations.

How much oil did you add to it to bring it up to the mark on the dipstick?

2 quarts

That's not terribly low, but that doesn't mean the engine didn't sustain some damage.

Knocking is not good, obviously. For the most part, this sort of repair is beyond DIY capability. Removing the engine on this vehicle generally requires an automotive lift, and the engine comes out from the bottom. Most DIY types aren't equipped for this sort of adventure.

A good option here is to have a used engine installed at a significant cost savings over buying a reman engine. You'd probably find yourself in the $2000-2500 range with a used engine replacement, and about double that for a reman engine. So, since the cost of repair is high, good diagnosis is key. Get this in to a repair shop ASAP, tomorrow if you can, and get their opinion on this noise. I can't hear it from here, but based on your description, it's not a good thing. Hold out hope, though, because it's very possible that it's something less serious, like a broken harmonic balancer or cracked flexplate. It can happen, so make sure you get a straight diagnosis on this from someone that knows what they're looking for.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician