Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It's like it chokes (jerks) more so when going slow. 2002…

It's like it chokes...

It's like it chokes (jerks) more so when going slow

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2002 s10

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not fixing it - no one seems to know what's causing it. Trying to figure out what it could be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It stalled on me on the highway last summer - it was hot! I've had the catalytic replaced and the fuel filter replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

To answer the last question first, it has an external fuel filter located under the truck, on the frame rail.

When you say it jerks, when? When accelerating, decelerating, just cruising along... give me some more information about what it does.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I first start it, driving slow, at times a 25-35 mph. Seems to get better when I accelerate, but is still there - just not as jerky. It feels like something is constricting the gas flow. I'm also getting terrible gas mileage.

Is the check engine light on when you're driving?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks - I'm not fixing it - someone else will need to. Just trying to get some idea of possibilities.

The phone call is an automated response, don't worry about that. Is the check engine light on when you're driving it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is on. It used to go off when I filled up - now it's rare it goes off after filling up. It will go off on occasion. If I've been driving on the highway - stop and go again it always comes back on.

OK. The stored trouble codes might have something to do with this jerking sensation you're feeling.

Common issues on these trucks are ignition problems: distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs. All of these things can cause a misfire that will give you a herky jerky feeling when driving at low speeds. Fuel system issues are also common, but the fuel issues manifest themselves differently: hard to start, no start, no power on acceleration. I think low speed, low throttle jerkiness like you're describing will come down to tune up/spark plug/ignition issues more than anything else.

If you get an estimate from a mechanic and want to run it by me to see if it makes sense, I'm happy to do that with you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You Jerry! Any thoughts on the sensors?

It's possible that an oxygen sensor is giving you trouble, that would affect your mileage and maybe the way it's running. Most other sensors on the truck would create different problems or they have redundancy that allows the truck to run in spite of a sensor failure. The tech should be thorough looking at all of the sensor values on a scan tool, and making sure he addresses any and all trouble codes that are stored (if the check engine light is on, codes are stored, but we don't know if there's one code or ten, the light is the same either way).

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much! Happy St. Patrick's!

Likewise, thank you, ***** ***** luck with it!

:-)

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician