Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I know my Tahoe has an oil leak, and I just got two new

I know my Tahoe...

I know my Tahoe has an oil leak, and I just got two new tires put on the front last Friday, ever since my truck jerks/sputters when I drive or apply the breaks. It doesn't do it all the time but I hadn't noticed it until I got the tires put on. Also, got new brakes on the front & back last month.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Not this year, I know last year or the year before i had to replace the fuel pump and some hoses.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tahoe?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No all work has been done at a shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The oil leak has nothing to do with this vibration or jerking sensation.

What it sounds like is the tire installer did not torque the wheels properly, and likely damaged the brake rotors, causing a pulsation when braking. Does this sound like what you're experiencing, a pulsation that seems to slow down as the vehicle slows down?

Kinda. I know I notice it sometimes when I'm slowing down it is like the wheels don't run smoothly almost as if I'm running over something bumpy. It is noticeable when I apply the brake and when I accelerate as well. It's kind of hit or miss, it doesn't do it every time.

Would you say that the shake is consistent with the speed of the rotating tire? Or much faster than that?

I would say it's consistent. Once I've stopped the vehicle doesn't shake.

My advice is to return to the tire installer and have them look at it for you. Seemingly, it's related to the work they did, so instead of trying to figure it out, I would get them to have a look. Sometimes there are bad tires that come right off the shelf, we want to give them an opportunity to make it right if there's something wrong.

It seems that you might have an out of round tire, and no amount of balancing will correct a tire that just isn't round to begin with. It's what I'd be looking at if your truck were in my shop: I'd remove the wheels, put them on the balancer and spin them up, just to see if any of them are out of round or out of balance, before getting too much further on this concern.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Ok I will take it back there and have them look at it. Thanks