Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 85 cutlass with a chevrolet 350 and 350 turbo. My…

Customer Question
I have an 85...

I have an 85 cutlass with a chevrolet 350 and 350 turbo. My transmission fluid mixed with water and one day i put my far in gear and it didnt move. I bought another 350 turbo but i used the same torque converter. When i take it out of park and put it in gear and back in to park it makes a grinding noise. Is it the transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

We drained it and put in 14 qts of fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cutlass yourself? What have you tried so far?

I paid a mechanic. Im out of $600

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We swapped transmissions and the car still doesnt move.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/16/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Its likely that you have a problem in the transmission. There are some years of turbo 350's that use a different spline on the input shaft and it sounds like this might the case.

You will need to properly match the torque converter with the transmission . Also if the torque converter was contaminated with coolant, it will need to be professionally flushed, but the best case is a rebuilt unit.