Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 3500hd duramax started then sputtered and now won’t…

2008 3500hd duramax started...

2008 3500hd duramax started then sputtered and now won’t start. it turns over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Looks fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Chevy?

3500 HD SILVERADO

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Opened air valve on lift pump and primed it. No fuel coming out and the primer stays soft

3/15/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

if you pump the plunger on the fuel filter housing, does fuel leak out anywhere?
Does it get stiff?

Did you just get fuel?

Along with priming I have checked the fuel relay switch. My next idea is to look at WIF and possibly remove fuel filter and reinstall.
Any other diagsuggestions would be helpful
No fuel coming out anywhere and the plunger stays soft

If you open the bleeder and pump, does fuel come out from there?

Opened bleeder valve ( located next to plunger) pumped it and no fuel

Ok, how much fuel in the tank?

Almost 3/4 it has dual tanks
I haven’t ran the truck for about 4 days prior and it was cold weather at night

OK, so it sounds like its getting air, or the primer pump has failed.

There are 3 sections of rubber flex hoses between the engine and the fuel tank. Make sure none are broken or rubber through. Make sure nothing else is rubbing on the fuel lines and causing a leak.
If that is all good, you can try low pressure compressed air in the fuel tank to help prime it and see what happens. Watch you only pulse the air and don't rupture the tank.

If that is all good then remove check the filter and sensor. If thats good then its likely that you need to replace the filter head assembly.

Ok I’ll work on that

Please be sure to save this page as a favorite in your web browser so you can reply back to me easily. you can reply at an time, even after accepting or rating me.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician