Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1998 corvette 5.7 automatic had multiple broken wires and a…

Customer Question
1998 corvette 5.7 automatic...

1998 corvette 5.7 automatic had multiple broken wires and a lot of broken grounds from mice i have fixed all grounds and powers. My only issue now is trans is stuck in limp mode and only code i am getting is a p0801 for reverse inhibitor switch for a auto trans??? originally i found all the broken whiles and a burnt ignition relay i also found that it has a brand new reman pcm. Im wondering if the new pcm was programmed with bad grounds and thats my issue but i need a second opinion. I now have scan tool communication with pcm tcm but no solenoids will function. I dropped pan and am getting 12v tested ground and no ground tested at pcm still no ground to solenoids cut wire at pcm to 1-2 solenid still no ground out of pcm all other pins on both connectors at pcm have ground for every other circuit

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?

Brand new battery plus keep charger on while testing so i have a constant 12v 45k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing at my work and only way i can get trans to shift is dropping it to d1 d2 d3 d4

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 1 month ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hello, my name is***** to just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today. I have your answer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I'm a tech for Chevrolet and a trans tech. There is a problem with the programming in that PCM. P0801 only sets on a 6 speed Manual transmission...there is no reverse inhibit solenoid on a 4 speed automatic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If they programmed the pcm with bad grounds do you think i need a pcm replacement or can i reprogram using my pass through j tool programmer

try reprogramming if you by the VIN if you can do that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If reprogram doesnt work would your next step be replacing the pcm

If that doesn't work....replace it....it's programmed for a manual trans

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would gm replace the pcm and program with a manual also say it was programmed for a 6 speed manual is that why i have no scan tool functional testing for all internal solenoids

That question i can't answer....I don't know...all i know is that a P0801 will only set with a manual trans

And yes that is why you have no scan tool functions for an automatic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok well i have gotten all wiring fixed today i will reprogram tmw and let you know

If you need more help please let me know. At this point i would ask that you click on the stars and leave a 5 Star rating and i will be more than happy to answer any follow up questions you may have as rating 5 Star will not close out your question

How did you make out with the programming

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could not program because i need another j tool specific for star connectors to isolate just pcm i did not know so i ordered one and should have tuesday so programming is on hold until then
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that true that i need to plug into star connectors with this took and switch to pcm only before i use my j2534 pass thru tool

Yes that is true on these older vettes..i forgot about that actually

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i just got j tool and hooked everything up went to reprogram and lost communication with programmer disconnected and hooked up scan tool and no communication with just pcm every other module will communicate just no pcm dash has service vehicle soon reduce engine power low fuel service abs service traction control
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When i first hooked up j 2534 and j42236 i had communication i went to reprogram pcm everything was going good the vin number it brought up was different then actually car confirming the pcm was changed so i corrected vin went to download and wouldnt let me download i called ac delco they said it was a communication issue with pcm thats when i put the scan tool on it to confirm no communication now i can not get communication back all power and grounds are good crank no start now

Somethings wrong with that PCM man

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i called everyone no one makes a pcm for this would u recommend sending it out and having it refurbished and would that work if the computer is already out of another vehicle and has issues like i have

Have you tried a GM Dealer for availability

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gm was my first phone call they said 0 stock in country discontinued

Shit.....Try sending it out and make sure it's programmed to that VIN

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shit is right!!! Would it be possible to buy a used unit and program myself since no one has one i just talked to numerous companys and they said software is to old for them

I think you could do that

Don't forget to leave me a 5 Star rating and i will be available to follow up with you

Where are you at with this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ordered a new pcm they said up to 2 weeks but i am still not convinced why i have no communication now with pcm. I would think i would still be able to communicate with pcm but just get a corrupt pcm code. Vehicle will not start now just crank have reduced engine power service abs traction low fuel i can communicate with all other modules

There's 4 reasons why you can't communicate with any module....Power, Ground, an open in the data circuit or a bad module

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i disconnect pcm from system i am still pulling all the dash lights does that make sense?

It could because you have taken a module out of the loop...I think you have a real basket case on your hands to be honest with you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think basket case is being light but unfortunately i can not turn the vehicle away

I understand that

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician