Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The stsrting disabled light is on and the van wont start…

Customer Question
The stsrting disabled light...

The stsrting disabled light is on and the van wont start with his key but it will start wiyh mine. Ive tried the relearning which takes 30 minutes but no luck. Have any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Looks like a car with padlock the picture of the engine and as usual the abs lite but it is always on nothing no about the abs light.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MiniE?

2006 uplander mini van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im attempting to fix it. Lol. I have went through yhe relesrning process for the key. My key will stsrt it but my husbans wont

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No letd jope he has some good idea. Thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, as it will start with yours but not your husbands key, as well as the relearn procedure will not work for his key, the transponder in the key has a failed and the key will need to be replaced.

If it were the control module or key antenna ring on the ignition, your key would not work.

So you will need to replace his key for this

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Must we go to a chevy dealer to get a new key? Can u estimate the cost?
Hellooooooo could u please reply

HI,

Sorry, keyboard locked up

You can call around to your local locksmiths as most will carry the key and can cut and program it. From a locksmith, it will be around $100 - $125

From a dealer around $225

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.