Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Anti theft light is on, couldnt start car, after many

Customer Question
Anti theft light is...

Anti theft light is on, couldnt start car, after many attemps the batter died and key stuck in ignition now. im going to jump start it if possible. its a 2010 chevy cobalt

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

Have no idea how to

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Unlocking the doors with key and then trying to start it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

This is some sort of failure of the theft deterrent system. One thing you can try is relearning it, are you familiar with how to do that?

no, im new to this
hello?

Yes, I am here. Bear with me, helping several people at once. Let me get that procedure for you, hang tight.

The manual does not specify that you can do this. However, I believe you can.

First, put a charger on the battery and get it charged up, and leave the charger on it. Attempt to start, leave the key on. After ten minutes the security light should go out. When it does, key off, try to start a second time, wait for light to go out again. Then key off, try to start a third time, leave key on until light goes out.

After doing that three times, for a total of 30 minutes, key off, and try to start. If the relearn was successful, the engine will start. If not, this will need to get towed to a repair shop for diagnosis and repair, as there is hard failure that needs proper diagnosis.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am always happy to follow up with you.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.