Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cooling fan not coming on engine overheating, replaced fan…

Customer Question
cooling fan not coming on...
cooling fan not coming on engine overheating, replaced fan relay tested the fan off of the battery and it spins?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I disconnect the temp sensor the fan turns on and the check engine comes on.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Have you replaced the cooling temp sensor? Does it overheat going down the highway? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not yet, and yes

If it overheats going down the highway then there is a bigger problem because wind from highway speeds would work better then a cooling fan. I would start by replacing thermostat to see if that helps if not next thing I'd recommend is a cooling system pressure test and block test to see if head gasket has failed. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i should replace the temp sensor also

No, that wouldn't cause this problem. I would start with the thermostat and if that doesn't help then do block test and cooling system pressure test. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what controls the starting of the fan?

The coolant temp sensor sends signal to the PCM and the PCM controls the fan. But if fan was the problem vehicle wouldn't be overheating going down the highway. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thermostat changed not overheating on the highway but fan still not turning on while driving in the city
Thanks for update. If it isn't overheating on Highway but overheats at idle then replace the coolant temp sensor. Let me know if it helps thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are there 2 of them 1 by the thermostat for the dash gauge and the other by the water pump

No, there is only 1 by the thermostat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks

Dan, Technician