Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Key stuck in ignition. Cannot turn key to lock position for…

Customer Question
Key stuck in ignition...

Key stuck in ignition. Cannot turn key to lock position for removal. Key will only turn so far to off car. But does not rotate to lock position for removal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes can turn the steering wheel and drive car. Think I put key in opposite when started car. Key has always worked better on one side than on the other. I would just like to remove this key and will never use it again!!!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

94 Chevy Cavalier 2.2l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to I have removed the steering wheel etc. and the ignition lock is exposed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

So you have the column apart to the point that you can remove the lock cylinder?