Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture van that won't start, the

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture van that won't start, the dashboard flashes the battery signal, then says low fuel, and then it says security.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

The battery was tested and it was fine. It's a year old and the alternator was fine as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Venture yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I had a mechanic to look at it. Yesterday I went for an oil change and was told the battery and alternator was fine. Today it would not start. I was the factory alarm system may be preventing it from starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just got the van two days ago, it was working fine up until today that it won't start

3/15/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

If the SECURITY light stays on with the key on, then there is a security issue that needs to be ironed out.

The way this system works is there is a sensor on the ignition lock cylinder housing, its job is simply to watch and make sure the lock cylinder rotates (and that someone didn't slide hammer the lock out and try to hot wire it). When it sees the lock rotate, it sends a very specific voltage to the body computer. The body computer compares that with the stored value that it learned a long time ago, and it either decides to start the car by sending a message to the engine computer, or it decides not to start the car and turns on the SECURITY light.

Sometimes, what goes wrong is the little wires that carry the voltage in the first part of this process get a little loose, maybe get a little corrosion on them, and this very specific voltage drops over time and might finally get to a point where it is outside the tolerance that the body computer has. You can overcome this by relearning the theft deterrent, and you can do this yourself as long as that's the only problem with it. If there is a hardware failure, a broken wire, or anything like that, this will not work.

Relearning: Make sure the battery is good, put it on a charger if necessary, because this takes 30 minutes with the key ON. Sit in the driver's seat, attempt to start, leave key on. Security light is on. Wait ten minutes, security light will go out. When it does, turn key off, then try to start it again and leave key on. Wait another ten minutes until security light goes out, then key off, then try to start it a third time and leave the key on for ten minutes until the light goes out again. After the third time, key off, then try to start it, and if the relearn was successful, it will start.

If it doesn't work, you'll need professional diagnosis, this requires a powerful scan tool to diagnose the problem, and guessing at what's wrong is very expensive and time consuming. Try the relearn, and if you get nowhere with it, consider having it towed to a good garage so they can work it out.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician