Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 hhr just replaced battery but car will not even try to…

Customer Question
2010 hhr just replaced...

2010 hhr just replaced battery but car will not even try to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, I checked and brushed them clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've also tried the 30 minute relearn at 3 ten minute intervals.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/14/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 1 month ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

I suggest you try a reset. Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to leave where the car is for a bit. I will try that as soon as I can get back to the car.

ok.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Tried that twice and it's still not trying.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Tried that twice and it's still not doing anything when I turn the key.

Ok, when you say nothing, do any of the dash lights come on normally and the engine just does not make noise?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Exactly. Everything lights up like normal but it doesn't turn the starter.

Do you have a test light? If so then it is best to test at the small stud at the starter when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, then we need to start checking other places such as the starter relay, or the neutral safety switch. If there is power at that stud then you likely need a new starter if the battery and cables to the starter from the battery are good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a test light

Ok all I Can suggest is to try swapping the starter relay with another, checking fuses and if that does not yield a solution, you will need a test light to do some diagnosis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the number on the starter relay?

You will want to find it by using the map or legend on the bottom side of the cover for the fuse block under the hood.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Giving up for tonight. Hopefully I can reconnect with you tomorrow.

Please be sure to save this page as a favorite in your web browser so you can reply back to me easily. you can reply at an time, even after accepting or rating me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you.

My pleasure.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician