Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Impala keeps running hot. I have to add water everyday…

My Impala keeps running...

My Impala keeps running hot. I have to add water everyday and I see no leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

I haven't seen a leak

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Impala?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't have the money to take it to the shop so I am trying to figure out whats it could possibly be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I haven't tried anything but add water and antifreeze

3/14/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

If you are losing coolant without any leaks, then you might have a bad head gasket. I would check the oil and make sure it doesn't look milky, if it does, then you are leaking coolant into the oil. If not, then I would pressure test the system to try and locate the leak. It's possible the leak isn't huge and it's evaporating while you are driving. If this is the case you wouldn't see it on the ground. Pressure testing is the best method for finding the leak.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you pressure test it?

You will need a pressure test kit. It's kind of like a air pump only designed to attach to the radiator. The cap will tell you how many psi you can pump it up to, and there is a gauge on it. You pump it up and then see if the pressure drops. If it does, then look for the leak. You should be able to rent one or get one on loan from someplace like Autozone.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you, I'll try that.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician