Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It won't start. My check engine light came on yesterday. it…

Customer Question
It won't start....

It won't start. My check engine light came on yesterday. it doesn't crank, but makes electrical sounds when i turn the ignition, even for 30 seconds or so afterward

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the battery posts for corrosion, tried to jump start it, left the battery disconnected for 30 minutes to reset the computer. disconnected the battery and held the lines together to override the passlock, and swapped the crank relay with a similar relay.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/14/2018
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Great. Thanks!

what model Chevy and engine size please?

I don't know the model, but it's the 3.6L V6.
3.3 i mean

you dont know the model? malibu, impala? cruze?????

sorry, i thought you meant the trim. It's a 2005 Impala

thanks. have you tried to start it in neutral?

Assumed that was in the notes
I have not. I can really quick

ok

same result. doesn't turn over, makes an electrical whirring sound. electricity is getting to some of the interior, but i can't roll the windows down or anything.

do you have a voltmeter?

i don't unfortunately

then the only thing you can do is check the fuses. voltage and ground tests need to be done. you also need a code reader to see what turned on the check engine light.

ok. That's understandable. I've already reached out to a local tow company and my preferred mechanic in preparation, but just wanted to make sure there's something i wasn't missing.
I swapped the crank relay with one of the fan ones of the same type in case that was bad, but it had the same result
i planned on getting the code read after it popped up yesterday, but didn't get a chance; now that'll have to wait till it gets to the shop i guess

sorry brother but I can only do so much on here, and need a little help testing things.

no problem; thanks for the info!

you bet