Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Chevy cobalt lt 2.2 I have po700, po741 codes I know…

2007 Chevy cobalt lt 2.2...
2007 Chevy cobalt lt 2.2 I have po700 , po741 codes I know transmission. Never done fluid or filter change. Currently has 181,000. Is this something I need to take to a transmission shop, or do I need to drop the filter and tank and put new filter on?? Any help would be appreciated.
3/14/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

the 741 is for the torque converter solenoid. I would start by changing the oil/filter in the trans and adding a valve body modifier to see if this helps. it may be the valve in the valve body sticking.

Roy

Circuit Description

The torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid valve is a pulse width modulation (PWM) solenoid. When vehicle operating conditions are appropriate for TCC application, the transmission control module (TCM) begins the TCC duty cycle at approximately 42 percent. The TCM then increases the duty cycle up to 90 percent, in order to achieve full TCC apply pressure.

When the TCC PWM solenoid valve is de-energized, the solenoid blocks filtered 2-3 drive fluid, and allows TCC signal fluid to exhaust. When energized, the solenoid modulates fluid into the TCC signal fluid circuit. When fully energized, modulation stops, and the solenoid blocks both 2-3 drive fluid and TCC signal fluid exhaust.

When the TCM detects a high TCC slip speed when the TCC is commanded ON, then DTC P0741 sets. DTC P0741 is a type B DTC.

DTC Descriptor

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0741 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) System - Stuck Off

Conditions for Running the DTC

^ No MAP DTCs P0107 or P0108.
^ No TP DTCs P0120 or P0220.
^ No ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717.
^ No OSS DTCs P0722 or P0723.
^ No TCC stuck ON DTC P0742.
^ No TCC release switch DTCs P0842 or P0843.
^ The engine is running for 5 seconds.
^ The transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is 20°C to 130°C (68°F to 266°F).
^ The commanded gear is 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.
^ The Calc. Throttle Position is between 8 percent and 90 percent.
^ The TCM commands the TCC ON.
^ The TCC duty cycle is 65 percent or more for 5 seconds.
^ The engine torque is greater than 50 N.m (37 lb ft).

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The TCC slip speed is 150 RPM or more for 8 seconds twice during the same ignition cycle.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

^ The TCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.
^ The TCM forces the TCC solenoid OFF.
^ The TCM inhibits TCC engagement.
^ The TCM freezes transmission adaptive functions.
^ The TCM inhibits 4th gear when in HOT mode.
^ The TCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The TCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
^ The TCM stores DTC P0741 in TCM history during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

^ The TCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.
^ A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
^ The TCM clears the DTC from TCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
^ The TCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the TCM.

Diagnostic Aids

^ Inspect the transmission fluid level.
^ The transmission may be in hot mode. Inspect the transmission fluid lines to the radiator. The lines may be pinched, plugged or twisted.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.
2. This step inspects the transmission fluid to ensure that it is at the proper level.
3. This step verifies that the TCC engages when commanded ON by the scan tool.

do you have any other questions???

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

first recommendation is to remove the pan and filter and change those out? And then refill with 6 or 7 quarts of dexron vI correct

6 and the valve body modifier

Roy

Should I just park the car for now and not drive it or is going to hurt driving it??

no you are good. you may or may not have converter lock up, thats all

Roy

ignore the engine light comes back on just leave it on? Or do I delete the code??

clearing does nothing as the issue needs to be addressed.

leave it on.

the transmission isn’t gonna stop on me?? I also have seen while accelerating the rpm goes up and I’m sitting still at like 40mph and I’m not getting faster.( kinda like it’s a governor) on the transmission

ok, thats new information you never stated.

get the fluid changed ASAP. that could be a problem

How bad of a problem. I added some today, and the color that came out of bolt hole to make sure it was full is brown.

thats not good. get the fluid changed ASAP.

as far as how bad, it could be something that could end in an overhaul. thats why I want to change that filter in case it is clogged

Roy

WHEN I went through the gears I was what looked like a wrapped wire( through hole) and I could see fluid moving around.

it should move around. it is hitting the moving parts as well.

Roy

I think I added a quart and a half. Do u think the other fluid has been contaminated and it’s stuck in the filter?? When I drop the pan and take the filter out, how will I know I got all the old fluid out??

ok, sorry, had a computer glitch

you will only get the 6 or 7 quarts out of the pan area. the converter holds about 6 quarts but there is no drain for that.

as far as the filter. it will be heavy in comparison to the new filter. you will not be able to tell visually.

Roy

I also read we’re the old gasket( I think it’s rubber) can be re used? Should I just replace the gasket and use rtv sealer as well??

it is a forever gasket as they call it.

no, never use rtv. that gets into the fluid and messes with valves in the valve body

Roy

I know u recommend acdelco but an after market gasket and filter should be fine??

sure, see if they have just the filter. you can reuse the old gasket .

only the acdelco filter?? Or do u mean the filter ( aftermarket) is acceptable?? I get the gasket idea

you can use an aftermarket from advanced, autozone, o reillys and they have ac delco as well.

yes, the gasket is good.

Roy

Roy

can u send me the part numbers I need for the filter pleasevin # 1G1AL55F377237985and the part number for the valve body modifier

I dont do parts. a counterman at a parts store can give you that info.

let me check something

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2007,cobalt,2.2l+l4,1433735,transmission-automatic,filter,8600

what is a valve body modifier

a wynns product you can get at any parts store. it runs about 6 bucks

http://www.wynnsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/64506-F-596x1024.png

yep, that is it

Roy

would I add the wynns transmission before I out the new fluid in ?

you can add it at any time

Roy

do you have any other questions

I add the wynns to the 6 quarts of the fluid??

correct

If I can’t find the Wynn is there another brand or product that you would recommend instead to add??

I imagine but that is the only one I use as I know that is a good product

Roy

would I look for like a automatic transmission fluid conditioner, or valve seal oil consumption repair, or like bars brand( automatic transmission repair) or a seafoam hydra trans tune or brand(trans-x) slip stop and leak fix

never, never add any type of sealer to any system. they have virtually no effect on sealing anything. all they do is clog up systems.

there are other brands of conditioner depending on the store you are at. Like I said, my preference is Wynns conditioner

Roy

Would u recommend the Lucas oil brand on those??

no, they contain sealer elements in them.

Roy

just make sure it says conditioner on it correct?

correct again

https://lucasoil.com/media/k2/galleries/336/zhd-automatic-trans-fluid-conditioner.jpgIs this what your talking about??

yep, no to using. it has a stop leak additive in it. stop leaks contain brakes fluid swells seals and they eventually fail causing total failure.

Roy

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SLK41806015

nope, again contains stop leak

Roy

What about brand of sea foam ??

for what??

Transmission treatment

never. any flushing agent is no good for transmissions. it harms seals and does not react well with clutch material. thats why people who have there transmissions flushed end up having total failures after the procedure.

Roy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wynns-Professional-Premium-Automatic-Transmission-Treatment-11-OZ-Bottle-/123018174295I know it’s ebay but is this the same thing??
Stop having problem finding the treatment? Did the link above from eBay is this the same thing ??

no, we can keep going over and over and getting no where.

Do I absolutely need to put it in there??

no, I suggested it as a lube for the valve body.

Which brand of transmission fluid do u recommend? I know it has to be the dexron vi ??

Castrol or Valvoline.

This is about to time out from the time factor. if you want to continue you will either need to rate me or it will close.

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

thank you

Just one bottle of the treatment correct?? I just found it locally.

just one is sufficient

Roy

will be performing this weekend. I will let you know. . Thank you for your help.

your welcome

Roy

your welcome

Roy

yep, thats a good one. it is the one we use as well.

Roy

Just got done with it, no leaks and fluid came out of hole while changing gears. Still hear a whine on acceleration, didn’t know what that could be. Driving it around now, seems to be doing a lot better. Fluid was brownish red. Also the magnet had very small particles so I think we’re good internally. Just had a engine light po700 should I delete the code or let it reset it self naturally??
po741 came up again??

clear it and drive it. it may take a little to set. put some miles on it.

Roy

it should reset itself??

if there is no fault after 3 complete cycles then it will clear itself. that could take a couple of days.

Roy

Also fixing to do oil change in it(engine) is there any recommendation on any additives or motor cleaner to put in oil or fuel line

no additives to the oil. all the additives you need are already in the oil.

Engine oil not transmission. Any fuel injector cleaner u recommend

yes. engine oil

no fuel additives. they have no effect on injectors. just change the filter if you have an external filter.

Roy

Fuel filter correct??

yes. let me check if it is external

I see you have Pete helping you. soory was in a class.

is 700 the only code??? if you want me to continue, request a new professional and I will continue on that question. he has it locked up right now

Roy