Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1993 Chevy c1500 speedometer is going from 10 mph to 60…

Customer Question
My 1993 Chevy c1500...

My 1993 Chevy c1500 speedometer is going from 10 mph to 60 mph. I let off the throttle then it's corrected until I give my truck more throttle. What could be causing this? It worked perfectly fine until I had to change the starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

The starter was giving me a series of rapid clicks. I replaced the starter, battery, & all the cables. That problem is fixed. Now my speedometer is off on mph. Once I hit 10 mph it will jump to 60 mph until I let off the throttle. Once it's given throttle it jumps back up to 60 or higher mph.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '93 Chevy?

It's a c1500 or Silverado regular cab. It has a 5.7L tbi and a 700r4 or 4l60.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am fixing it myself. I have tried a new speed senor on the trans but still the same result after replacement. Could it be a ground issue from when I changed all the cables to my starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There's really not much else to say. The speedometer worked perfectly until I changed the starter, battery, & cables.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/14/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is the transmission shifting incorrectly with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

The transmission has always shifted a little hard from first to second since I bought my truck and cruise control never worked. Everything is the same still just the speedometer being way off when I drive.

When you replaced the battery cables did you install them back to the way they were already installed and made sure the connections are clean and tight?

I have done this multiple times now. I disconnected and reconnected all the wires to reassure they're correct and tightened. I did one cable at a time so I know the cables were put on correctly.

O.k.,the fault is in the DRAC module.This is the digital radio adapter controller.There was a bulletin released on it failing.What has happened is a voltage surge damaged it.I have seen this occur before.This occurred when the battery was disconnected and reconnected.Here is the info on the bulletin.It is located behind the glove box area.

Bulletin No.: 448301

Date: August, 1994

INFORMATION

SUBJECT:
NEW PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING SERVICE DRACS
(DIGITAL RATIO ADAPTOR/CONTROLLER)

MODELS:
1989-94 CHEVROLET AND GMC TRUCK M/L VANS, S/T MODELS
1990-94 CHEVROLET AND GMC TRUCK G VANS, R/V MODELS
1992-94 CHEVROLET AND GMC TRUCK C/K MODELS
1991-94 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

If a dealer is contacted about or is in need of a service DRAC (Digital Ratio Adaptor/Controller) for any of the following reasons:

1. Radio interference (EMI).

2. Speedometer fluctuation or flaring.

3. Erratic/surging cruise control operation.

4. Different tire size.

5. Defective part.

The dealer must contact an AC-Delco Service Center authorized to repair electronic instrument clusters for a new service DRAC, P/N 16202915.

NOTE:
This part is a service part and has to be programmed for the vehicle. It cannot be used until this procedure has been done by the authorized Service Center.

The dealer will need the P/N and the broadcast code (the 3 bold letters located on the printed label of the old DRAC). The Service Center will program the DRAC according to this information.

If the customer is changing the tire size, the Service Center will need the axle ratio and tire sized in order to program the DRAC to the new tire specifications. The AC-Delco Service Center will send the programmed DRAC via common carrier to the dealership.

Unfortunately my info is not showing the exact location to input here for you.But it looks similar to this below and is located behind the glove box itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwu20ydqo9pl6qy/drac-03-14.jpg?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete