Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 suburban 2500, my right rear signal light

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 suburban 2500, my right rear signal light remains on. What could possibly be keeping it on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Only the Right Rear signal light, it remains on. No flashing just stays lit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I've been working on it myself. I checked the voltage across the connected and it reads 12 v. I compared the left side and it reads 10 v but the left signal light remains off. This really confuses me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I checked continuity across the contacts in the connector and found continuity between the signal contact and the parking lamp lead, and ground. I suspect there is a short somewhere but it but I'm no sure where to look.

3/14/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The body control module controls all lighting in this vehicle, and is directly responsible for supplying voltage to the circuit. Not via a relay or anything else, it's a direct wire from BCM to lamp.

If that lamp is getting power, it's almost certainly because the BCM is faulty and is keeping it lit. There's a remote possibility that it's a wiring issue where two wires are shorted together (I never say never) but it's extraordinarily likely that the BCM has failed and needs to be replaced, based on my experience with these.

BCM requires dealer-level programming when replaced, so it's not a DIY sort of job. I would refer this to the dealer, they can verify that the BCM is the device keeping that bulb lit, and replace it/program it as needed to get this fixed up for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Is are they typically able to test the BCM to verify its faulty?

Yes, using a scan tool, the technician can command the lights on and off. What I typically find is that the BCM will respond to scan tool commands, lights go on and off as commanded, but when you exit out of that function and leave the BCM to its own devices, that light will come back on again.

Thank you, I'll give it a try

You're welcome, good luck with it!

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician