Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 chevy duramax and when i start it in the

Customer Question
morning and take of to...
I have a 2004 chevy duramax and when i start it in the morning and take of to work it drives normal i go 70 to 80 mph then if i get a red light or stop completely and take off again once i hit 65 the truck loses power and that be all i can go is 65 mph i have to stop turn the truck off and sometimes im able to go back to 70 or 80 mph and sometimes it still loses power and im just able to go 65..... what could be causing this and i have a obd 2 scanner and it does not turn on once i connect it like if my obd connection does not work
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
The mass air flow sensor i put brand new and fuel filter
3/14/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Is the check engine light ever on?

No sir it never turned on has been on

Did changing the fuel filter have any effect on this issue at all?

Well it worked great for about a day or 2 then back to the same

Interesting. Is the transmission shifting normally? You get on the highway, and it's in 5th gear at 2500rpm or so, yes? It's not racing at 3500 rpm or anything like that? When you step on the throttle and hold it, it just doesn't go any faster? Does the transmission downshift if you do that?

it like drowns and wont go any faster
I have let go of the throttle then it down shifts then sometimes i can go faster but rarely

I would expect to find some trouble codes relative to this issue, like low fuel rail pressure.

Are you able to connect your scan tool to other devices on the truck, or does it only read engine codes/data?

No sir just engine codes
Is itpossible my check engine light just not working?

OK. The fact that it doesn't connect doesn't mean a lot to me, that is more often a problem with the scan tool than with the vehicle.

Check engine light should be on with key on, engine off. Does that work?

I cant remember if it turns on like that but once i get off work ill try that out and see if it turns on

OK, that's a good place to start, there might be trouble codes we don't know about if that light doesn't work.

Let me know when you're ready to follow up, and we'll continue on.

sir thanks
when i turn the key to the on position and the check engine light does come on but once i start it turns right off

You replaced the fuel filter and that helped for a couple of days, yes? That tells me we're on the right track, looking at fuel supply.

What brand of fuel filter did you use, where did you buy it?

Brand is wix and bought it at oreilleys

OK, good.

Go to your dealer and buy an AC Delco filter. I'm serious. Filter quality is all over the scale, even AC Delco went through a period of poor quality a couple of years ago, but they are the only filters I install. Put one of those on, and see if the condition goes away again.

Ok ill do that

Let me know how that improves the situation, and let's see if it lasts longer than a couple of days.

sir will do

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago

Did a new filter resolve this problem for you?