Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No spark at coil. It's actually a 2003 GMC sierra. Tested…

No spark at coil ...

No spark at coil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

It's actually a 2003 GMC sierra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes . Tested coil with a multimeter checked for 12 v from ignition module wires and coil wire

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I have checked all ignition fuses visually and with a continuity tester they are good

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

What size engine do you have?

4.3

Do you have fuel injector pulse present when you try to start?

I have not checked that. How?

Need to check voltage present at the fuel injector connector when engine is turned over?

Voltage is present when turned over

OK. does the Pink wire at the ignition module and the coil both have 12 volts while Trying to start?

sir they both do

Does the black wire at the ignition module for a good chassis ground?

I connected with a tester and got no continuity

The ground?

but I just wiggled it around a little and cot ground so maybe the wire broke off right by the connector?

Possible. A constant ground is needed for ignition signal to be present.

Ok should I repair the wire and connector before going any further or can I jump it just to see if it starts?

Yes, definately. Once the wire is repaired try to start. If still no start then check White wire at the ignition module and see if there is a 5 present while cranking.

Hello, just checking if any updates?

I had to order a new connector, will be in tomorrow or Saturday. None of the local parts stores had it

No problem. Keep me posted.

Got the pigtail in today I will install and let you know.
Ok new connector installed and still no spark at coil
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Let's back up. You have power at the coil connector, yes?

Yea

OK, and if you probe the white wire on the coil connector with the test light attached to B+ and crank the engine, does the test light flash?

I'll try and reply back

OK. I may step away from my desk, but don't despair, I'll come back and follow up with you shortly.

Ok

I am back and ready when you are.

Ok I don't have anyone here to crank it. Is there any way to do it by myself?

If you can prop up the test light in a way that you can see it. I've done it myself, you have to get a little creative with how you set up the test light, but it's possible.

Ok other end of test light on ground or pos?

Other end on pos.

Test light does flash on white wire when cranked

OK, that's good! Put all of that back together, and remove the large coil wire and place it next to a ground, we want to see if the coil is making spark or not. Can you do this by yourself?

We'll see hahah

:-)

Hey I think I messed up. I was testing the new connector on the icm, it did flash on the white wire when cranked, but I just tried the white wire on the connector on the actual coil plug and got nothing

OK, white wire to ICM flashes, white/black wire to coil does not, is that right?

That's correct

This flashing ground to the coil is generated by the ICM. Testing indicates the ICM is no good.

With your test light still attached to B+, is there ground on the black wire to the ICM connector?

sir

ICM is apparently failed. Replace ICM.

Ok will get one and update when installed
Thank you

You're welcome, let me know how it goes!

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Ok here's the update. I got the new icm, installed it. And truck started right up and ran fine for about 30 minutes in the driveway. However, this morning I was driving to work and it started sputtering and died on me again, it started a couple of times after it died (enough to get me off the road) and now will not start again.didnt get any trouble codes. Any ideas?
I'm going to run through the same tests I did previously to make sure it isn't the same thing, but it's almost like a fuel pump going out. But I had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up the whole time it ran last night and it stayed at a constant 48 +/- psi the whole time