Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Starts and dies after a couple seconds has 60 pounds of fuel…

Starts and dies after...

Starts and dies after a couple seconds has 60 pounds of fuel pressure does not lose RPM signal will start right back up but dies right away again

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

54567 last week

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Chevy?

I I have unplugged the mass airflow sensor does the same thing only code it has in it is for an EVAP vent valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

3/13/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hello, my name is***** to just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today. What is the yr. make and model of your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3

Is the security light on or flashing on the dash

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

What's the evap code....I'm a tech at a Chevy dealer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was driving down the road it backfired a couple times and died and this is what it's done ever since
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0449
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have unplug the mass airflow sensor cuz I know that those go bad sometimes and that did not change anything still does the same thing

i know you have good fuel pressure...did you by chance get fuel prior to this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No but if I spray brake clean in the throttle body I can keep it running

Stand by a few minutes

The first thing i would do in this situation is take a fuel sample....you should be able to get it right out of the fuel rail if your fuel pressure gauge has a relief with a drain on it. Put it in a clear preferably glass bottle and let it sit and see if it separates and anything drops to the bottom

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay so I did that nothing in the fuel fuel looks good no water

Have you checked to see if you have injector pulse at any of the fuel injectors

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is the one thing that I have not checked

Do you know how to do that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with the Noid light but I don't have a noid light

do you have a test light

You can use that across the 2 pins of the connector with a paper clip or something. Just dont jamb something to big in there and spread the terminal....a test light will work as good as a noid light......But do this first....disconnect 1 injector on each bank....test for power with the test light on the pink wire with the key on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have power at the pink wire on both sides with the key on and I have noid even when it's dying I still have noid light

It flashes

Can you look at live data

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah

Whats the coolant temp and map at

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Coolant temp is 71 map is 28.9

Just for the hell of it...disconnect the map and see if it will run

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay where is that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3 wire plug in?

Yep

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still does the same thing

I hate to suggest this but pour some of that fuel sample on the ground and lite it....see if it burns

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it dose

and you are sure there is no security light or a padlock looking symbol on right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only lights on on the dash when it dies is the check engine light the battery light in the TPM sensor light

How long before it dies like a few seconds, minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seconds sometimes it'll run for 20 seconds and then die after that it starts dies starts dies starts dies starts runs for 20 seconds dies

But starts right back up no problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you touch the gas when it does start it'll die instantly like it's getting no fuel

Does the fuel pressure hold steady or drop after it dies

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel pressure stays strong between 58 and 62

You have to have a bad ecm....everything else is working like it should....it almost doesn't even make any sense....that's why i'm leaning toward the Ecm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's kind of what I was thinking but I can keep it running if I spray brake cleaner in there just like it's not getting fuel to the injectors so I know the Sparks good and the crank sensor and all that

Testing the injector pulse confirms that the ecm is commanding the injectors on and off.....the fact that is starts....then dies and you don't loose the noid light eliminates the crank sensor

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It can't be losing spark either because if I spray the brake clean it stays running so it's showing everything that it should need to run

Stand by a minute....i want you to try something else

# 2 in the image

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You dropped it to a -40 and it still does the same thing

If i was working on this vehicle at my dealer...i would first confirm my fuel pressure gauge accuracy by trying another one....then i would be trying an ecm at this point

I think you would agree that we both know it's a fuel issue...i keep heading towards bad fuel but...it looks ok and burns....Ecm controls the injector on/off time...if something internal has crapped out it may be giving that initial full shot of fuel to start but after that...the injector pulse time isn't right to keep it running

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got 2 looking here and I think this is a 2013 truck
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dose it have a fuel pump driver module that could be Bad? Or could it not be getting enough fuel volume it has the pressure but not the volume?

If it's a 13 there could be some differences......and yes it could be getting the pressure but not the volume...i have seen it before but rarely...Give me the VIN

Do you have a shop and this is a customer vehicle or your own vehicle

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vin is 3GCPKSE74DG345432 I don't have a shop just looking at it for a freind

i think fuel pump.....this vehicle has a branded Title which means if was totaled by insurance too....not that that matters

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
your thinking a volume problem?

Yes

I would hope that you would leave a 5 Star rating for the steps we have taken...I suggest a fuel pump. I will be available for further follow up questions you may have

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I'll let you know if that works thank you for your time

You're welcome

I would ask that you click on the stars and leave a 5 star rating....this releases a portion of the deposit you have made to me for my time

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gas motors don't run on diesel fuel that's what I found and fixed
I knew it had something to do with that fuel
Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician