Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It’s my moms car. It starts fine but just chugs at idle and…

Customer Question
It’s my moms car...

It’s my moms car. It starts fine but just chugs at idle and then quits. If you step on gas it sounds fine and you can drive it as long as the Rpms are up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Haven’t noticed it being a gas hog and it starts fine. For awhile now it has been just quitting say at a stop sign or when slowing down say for a turn

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 impala

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

My brother took it to auto zone and they said one code was the ignition coil. Mom is on a very tight budget and can’t afford a mechanic so we are trying ourselves First

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/13/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin the chugging you describe sounds like the engine is missfiring so in effect not every cylinder is firing correctly .the fault code refering to an ignition coil would also strongly point to a missfire and is the best place to start

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic