Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2001 Chevy tracker is reading the code p0430 what's can I…

my 2001 Chevy tracker is...
my 2001 Chevy tracker is reading the code p0430 what's can I do to fix my tracker so it can past emissions test
3/13/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Unfortunately, the P0430 is a fairly straight forward code, and a fairly common problem. This code points to a failing Catalytic Converter for Bank 2. The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the P0430 is set. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Which, if there were, you should be able to hear. Sounding like a repeating "tick" or "puff" from the exhaust. Usually more predominate when the engine is cold. Make sure to include the exhaust manifold when checking for leaks/cracks. If these check ok, then most commonly, the Converter is "on it's way out" and will need replacement in the near future. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure a P0430. On this vehicle, the Bank 2 Converter is mounted to the bottom of the exhaust manifold on the passenger's side of the engine. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its basically the converter that is connect to the manifold coerect
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct I ment sorry

That's correct. It's mounted to the bottom of the manifold on the passenger's side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you that's the part I just spent 400 on now got to pay 500 for labor thank you again u was a big help

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want my refund
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -