Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2012 chevy traverse has a navigation system keeps giving…

My 2012 chevy traverse...

My 2012 chevy traverse has a navigation system keeps giving me a read error. I've changed the disc and still get the error. Can it be fixed withiut buying a new radio?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

The car has 70,00 miles and no I don't have either

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've taken it to the dealer and they checked it out and we tryied a new disc. Thats all they did before trying to sell me a new radio for 1100.00 dollars

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just trying to see what my next step should be.

3/13/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

That is the crux of it. If there is an internal error, the radio is fully self contained, there are no serviceable components to it, so replacement of the whole unit is the standard procedure.

I would source this at a junkyard. They have lots of these laying around that they can't get rid of, you can usually get a NAV unit for $100 or so. You'll still need it installed, and it will need to be programmed by your dealer (for which they'll surely charge you a couple hundred dollars, since you aren't buying a radio from them) but you should still come out of this with an extra $500 or so in your pocket if you get a used unit.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician