Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I cannot figure out how to remove the lower steering column…

I cannot figure out...

I cannot figure out how to remove the lower steering column panel on a 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Chevy. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Trying to get to the ignition lock switch on a 2004 Suburban 1500. Heard that the switch wont engage at times and that might be causing my truck to not turn over.

3/13/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is this the trim piece you are having trouble with? https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkqcf3gs4ygckdl/columntrim.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
When I was looking to remove the lower cover, I found that there were no screws in the holes under there. It looked like 2 of the holes had some sort of rivets in them and the 3rd one had a small tab in it. Your blueprints don't really explain how to overcome them. Do you have any suggestions on that?

If the 2 screws are not there, then you just pull down on the cover to pop it loose so it can come off.

Ok will try that. Thanks

You are welcome