Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hard to start when sitting overnight, sputters, then

Hard to start when...

Hard to start when sitting overnight, sputters, then catches, then runs fine. Starts right up when warm. Been tuned up, I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. Only code is "running rich". Can a bad map/iat sensor cause this? Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Its always in park when I start, does not have wheel lock feature, always starts great when engine is warm

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2009 impala, 3.5L. Wondering the symptoms of a bad map/iat sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cleaned map/iat, cleaned throttle body, new plugs and wires last year, fuel pump primes when i turn the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When it wouldn't start this morning, on the third try i pushed the pedal a little bit and i think that is what got it to start

3/13/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Do you know what the actual code number is? Thanks.

Hi Dan, Ken here. What are your thoughts on my lengthy description of my problem above? Starts and runs like brand new when warm...
Thank you

To me it sounds like ether a leaking injector or carbon buildup on valves not allowing compression to build up right away. What is the actual code you are getting? Have spark plugs been replaced recently? Thanks.

Don't want a call now. Can't go out to the car now. Almost ready for bed...

That is website automatically offering phone call, I prefer chat.

OK. What are your thoughts on why it only acts up while starting after engine has been off for several hours...
thank you

sorry, missed your last response. plugs and wires changed last summer. don't know actual code, just running rich as I remember him telling me...so leaky injector could cause this? Does pushing the gas pedal while starting tend to help it start if injector is leaky?
How does one fix a leaky injector? How does one diagnose it to be sure/
Thank you

Give me a few minutes to type up a answer for you, thanks.

Pressing the pedal will allow more air into system giving cylinders that do not have low compression or too much fuel so engine will have a easier time turning over to burn out excess fuel in problem cylinders. So at this point I'd recommend doing a compression test when engine is cold, if any of them have low compression then you probably have a valve problem in that cylinder. So next step would be to try some engine cleaner such as seafoam. You can pour some directly into problem cylinders, put some in fuel, and some in oil. Let sit over night to soak then in morning run in low gear at high rpm to burn out any carbon deposits. If compression is good on every cylinder then you will want to test injectors. To do this you will want to remove the fuel rail and leave it connected to fuel line over night with rags under injectors. If any of rags show sign of fuel leakage in the morning then this would mean injector is leaking and needs to be replaced. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Dan,
Thank you for the detailed response. I will try to accomplish some of that in the next couple of days.
How do I contact you in the next couple of days?

You can reply to this answer at any time the same way you are now without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks.

Dan, Technician
Thank you Dan.
Good night for now.Ken