Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmission what go into high gear. Last oil change about…

Transmission what go into...

Transmission what go into high gear

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Last oil change about 3400 miles ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 hhr chevy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just what to know where to start looking

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Does it have normal shifting through the other gears? When you drive it, can you discern 1-2, 2-3 shifts? Or is it running in one gear only, probably 2nd gear?

It will shift through 1&2 then at about 40 NPR it what go into 3 gear

OK, is the check engine light on?

No the engine is not on
Engine light not on

Have you checked the fluid level and condition on this?

No not yet. Will low fluid stop it from going into high gear

Low fluid will do lots of funny things, and yes, potentially keep it from going into 4th. Also want to know about condition, if it smells burned or smoky, it's likely that the 4th gear clutch has burned up and that's why it's not applying. Fluid condition and level tells the mechanic a lot of things, if the fluid smells burned, there's no need to go further, as that means one of the clutches is burned up, and it's time for an overhaul.

This transmission has no fluid dipstick, however. Fluid level has to be checked with the vehicle in the air and engine running, then remove the sight plug and fill until the fluid runs out. As far as checking condition, you can remove the cap on the top of the transmission and just smell it to see if you smell smoke or burned clutches, but you'll have to get under the car to check the fluid condition first hand by sampling what comes out of the fill plug hole when you remove the plug.

There's is no smoke are burned smell

OK, that's a good thing!

Proper diagnosis of this would be with a scan tool that's capable of reading transmission data. If this were in my repair shop, I would be using the scan tool to watch commanded gear vs actual gear, and see if the computer is actually commanding 4th gear and the transmission isn't responding, or if the computer is inhibiting 4th gear for some reason and holding it in 3rd. The transmission is entirely computer controlled with regard to shifting and line pressure, so a scan tool is vital when making a diagnosis.

If fluid condition is clean and full, I would refer this to a good repair shop for scan tool diagnostics. There isn't a fuse, solenoid, etc. that will keep just 4th gear from working. This is either a computer issue, or there is a mechanical issue inside the transmission that will need repair/overhaul. This is not a DIY sort of diagnosis or repair.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know. I am happy to follow up with you.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician