Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have changed the plug and wires, gapped to .040. i used…

Customer Question
i have changed the plug...
i have changed the plug and wires, gapped to .040. i used bosch since it said on description it was an OE plug. still have the misfire, but if i purchase 1 coil, will i be able to solve the problem by going through eacj one until it is gone?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/13/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Mechanic

That is one way to do it. But if it has a miss on more than one cylinder you will have a problem finding it. Can you get the ecm scanned?Do you have a scanner? If you go to advance auto or oreilleys they will scan it for you. Then you will see which cyl is missfiring. Once you know that you can focus on that cylinder or if there are a couple of cylinders missing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
forgot to mention, no light is on. i noticed at the store as it was dark, there was an arc from around the white plug in on the passenger side between the 3rd and 4th coil packs going from front to back

If you see an arc the coil is cracked, this could be your problem. Take the coil off and see if you can spot a track mark from the arcing. It will look like a jagged black line on the coil body.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i noticed the rpm also jumps up or drops down at the same time i noticed the spark, also there is a ticking noise when the rpm jumps or drops. would that be the coil thats bad? but i will check in the morning and try to track where the arc came from
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i also got a strong smell of fuel when walking around the rear of the truck, and a pop every now and then from the exhaust, i know thats the misfire but would a bad coil be doing all of that?

Yes if the coil is arcing, the plug is not firing. Then you get fuel in the exhaust system.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not trying to be a pain or anything lol, but what is the white plugin between the back 2 coil packs? not the coil plugin, but the white one that sits almost level with the back 2 coils

I will check my spec sheet tomorrow to see what that harness connector is for. I also have a good customer with the same truck. If I can"t get a good picture of the connector, I will have a look at his truck and get back to you.

That connector is for the coils. It is a subharness. If you saw arcing in that connector it could be your problem. Disconnect the connector and check the pins inside,see if there are any burn marks. Clean the pins with a file or sandpaper. sometimes water gets in the connectors and causes corrosion.

Pete, Mechanic