Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Does the 02 fuel tank have a roll over valve? If so what are…

Customer Question
Does the 02 Monte Carlo...
Does the 02 Monte Carlo fuel tank have a roll over valve? If so what are replacement options?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/12/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Thanks. Let me know what you find.

The roll over valve is built into the fuel pump assembly. So if tank is hard to fill even with vent solenoid hose disconnected and hose is not clogged then problem is likely roll over valve. The tank does not need to be dropped, remove the panel in trunk to get to access cover which allows you to replace pump. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have questions, thanks.

it's the fuel pump? Most check valves are at around the filler neck I thought?

Different vehicles/manufactures put them in different places but it is built into fuel pump assembly on this vehicle. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Is that a normal fix for the back fill issue?

The common problem is a failed vent valve or restricted hose going between vent valve and fuel tank. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Problem could also be evap canister or hose going from tank to canister. There is a hose that goes from tank to canister then from canister to vent solenoid. The vent solenoid is normally open so when vehicle is shut off solenoid is open which allows fuel to go into tank easily. If there is any restriction between vent solenoid and tank it can cause this problem. The canister is located on top of tank so tank will need to be dropped to inspect all lines and canister.

Chevy said they did that and it was good.

It is possible they didn't or missed problem. At this point I'd replace the fuel pump as it is easiest place to start. If that doesn't help you will need to drop tank and see if you blow through evap hose, if not there is a clog somewhere. If good then replace the fuel tank. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Does excessive fuel use count as an acting symptom.

T​hat is most likely unrelated to the hard to fill symptom, I don't see any way they would be related. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Getting a hold of Chevy. They are calling me Monday. Once I get a look at what they troubleshot, I will rate it. Hopefully this will be available to folks with my same issue.

The bad part is this problem can be caused by many issues so whatever fixes your problem likely won't be fix for next person having same symptom and same testing will be required. Keep me updated, thanks.

Well, its regarding the roll over valve and location. Could not find an answer anywhere. Came here. If that's where it is. I will rate it.

T​here are two roll over's one is built into fuel pump and one is built into tank, the one into tank is not replaceable so would require replacing tank. Keep me updated, thanks.

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Ever get it figured out?