Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Driving down the road at cruising speed, the Speedo will…

Driving down the road...

Driving down the road at cruising speed, the Speedo will drop to zero and it will bounce in and out of Third gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

120k on the whole van. Just replaced the engine. It has been parked for 3 yrs. A small drip coming from the transmission line into the radiator. I replaced the o rings with some that I have, but need to get better ones from Chevy.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Asto Van, 2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. I replaced the engine and just got it running.

3/12/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. I am working on answering your question now, Please allow me a few min to reply. Meantime? you may see a popup for phone call, I do NOT send this, the system does, I would prefer to keep in chat/email however, at times a call may help. I can not send files or diagrams via phone so lets start out in chat/email and go from there. Back shortly, Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good, thanks

Ok, the one item that controls speedo, as well as ABS signals and some other computer inputs will be the VSS or vehicle speed sensor and can cause some odd shifting as well. Its possible? you disturbed the plug, wiring etc to the sensor OR the sensor is going bad, I can not reply about any possible pinched wires doing engine change but I would inspect the plug to the VSS and if still acts up? change the sensor, Sure another option would be a failing PCM but not leaning that way. I feel bad sensor or sensor connection. I have attached a file showing location of the sensor at the taill end of the trans

Please rate my service provided using the rating stars on your page.
Rating now doe NOT close this post.
You can still come back to me after leaving a rating for me.
This is only for JA to track my service, Thanks. Randall

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was the speed sensor. Dad didn't tighten it. Drove it 132 miles today with no problems. I gave you High ratings. Thank you for your help. Torrey Penney
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech