Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

There’s a red light under the scab button in the radio

Customer Question
There’s a red light...

There’s a red light under the scab button in the radio that’s blinking and I hear continuous clicking noises

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

First time ever and from the doors and other places sounds like the security system suddenly went haywire. It happened after I hit my trunk button without the key being in the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2002 Chevy Monte Carlo ss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have to fix it myself gotta get to work somehow and I put the key to on an the nosies stops but the car still won’t start and the light under the radio still is on. And there’s a click every now and again but it’s not continuous like before. Once the keys out then it’s back to this never ending click

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s all

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/12/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 5 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

What are you calling "the scab button" ??
Perhaps you mean "SCAN" Button?
Is this the Factory Radio?
IF so, then the Red Light flashing is "normal" as your Radio has a built in Anti Theft Code
The Red Light flashing has nothing to do with the Vehicle Security System.
Be sure Vehicle Battery is "fully charged"
Try Locking Vehicle & leave "UNDISTURBED" for at least 14 minutes
Unlock & try starting
Let me know if you need further

.