Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I've ordered a back-up camera from Garmin to be used with…

I've ordered a back-up...

I've ordered a back-up camera from Garmin to be used with their Garmin Drive 60LMT. I've yet to receive the camera but just planning on how to install it. As I understand the camera is recommended to be attached to the wire feeding the reverse lamps so that when the truck is put in reverse, the live current sent to the reverse lamps automatically turns on the back-up camera. And when the transmission is taken out of reverse there is no 'current' going to the reverse lamps and the camera is turned off. The camera is supposed to feed a wireless signal to the GPS when it (the camera) is engaged so no hard wiring is necessary from the camera to the GPS unit. So my question goes to which is the wire feeding the reverse lamp(s) on my 2002 Chevy 1500? Thanks, Bobby

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket camera, or did it come with the vehicle?

Aftermarket

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2002 Silverado 1500 (1/2 ton pickup truck)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried nothing so far. Considering doing it myself but if you suggest may take it to my mechanic.

3/12/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

There are 3 options Bobby, either of the rear lights has a light green, those are reverse, or the trailer plug also has a light green. That is the reverse feed. Then for a ground, you can use the black wire at any of these locations.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your response. I'd rather connect to the main harness so I'll look for that wire first. But obviously (?) the trailer wiring would likely be easier to access. I have the flat 4-wire trailer feed wire.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have the aftermarket back up camera just yet so no need to talk at present. It may come to that later.

MAin harness, sounds good. Under the rear bend the bumper you will find a 4 connector junction block. The inlet is a blue connector and in that are 2 back up wires, both light green. You can splice into either wire for your signal. That will keep the wiring at the main harness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much. Just the info I was looking for. Have a great day.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician