Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 chevy suburban "Service traction control""Stabilitrak…

2007 chevy suburban "Service...

2007 chevy suburban "Service traction control""Stabilitrak off""Rough idle""poor shift""multiple misfire""poor acceleration"'serial number"

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent Whenever the codes get set

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Plugs and Wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That would be it

3/12/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

Do you have access to a scan tool to check for trouble codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me give you a better description first:2007 chevy suburban
While driving I am getting poor acceleration; which sets off a few codes:
"Stabilitrak off"
"Service traction control"
"multiple misfire"
and some kind of wrong serial # error
Then there is a Rough idle and poor shift into 2nd gear
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have the scan tool with me but let me see if I can look up the codes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0300 Random misfire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0300 Multiple misfire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also something about a wrong serial number
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could get the exact text from the scanner later today but that is what I have now.
One last thing the Fuel pump was replaced about 5 months ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do you want to go from here?

A random multimple misfire can be a half dozen issues or so, but most commonly we see lifter failure as the main cause. The serial number code is likely a stored history code stemming from a previous repair- unless the PCM or another module has been replaced recently.

Will your scan tool monitor fuel trim data? We will need to see if the vehicle thinks it's running rich or lean.

Are you getting any lifter noise from the engine while idling?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me get the exact codes from the scanner first tonight. Not sure on the fuel from data, I will look. It may have a slight lifter noise if you gun it while it's sluggish.

It's really common to have one or more set of lifters get stuck in the wrong position on this engine due to the active fuel management system.

The solution is to replace the lifters and we typically do that as a complete set.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me get the exact codes first tonight, then we will go from there.

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here are the codes. I also notice an engine knock on the right side of the engine when under heavy load. Not sure if that's the lifter noise or some spark knock.
20180313_083210.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_083154.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_083134.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_083105.jpg2018031...jpg

Multiple misfires huh? That could be a half dozen different things causing it. We're going to need to look at more data to nail this one down.

Check the fuel trim reading. Your short term fuel trim should be no more than 10% and no less than -10% on both banks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was looking for that fuel trim data on my scanner unfortunately I don't think I have it could it be called something else

Not that I can think of. It might not be able to monitor it.

You next option is to remove the valve covers and check for movement on the lifters. I would start with the side you are hearing the noise on.

1. Remove the valve cover.

2. Cranking the engine, check for rocker arm movement on the valves.

3. If one of the rocker arms are not moving, replace the corresponding lifter.

4. If both rocker arms are not moving, it is possible the solenoid in the Valve Lifter Oil Manifold (VLOM) Assembly may be stuck open.

5. If you determine the lifters are the problem, when apart (cylinder heads removed), inspect the Valve Lifter Guide for cracks and camshaft lobe wear. Reinsert the lifters into the Valve Lifter Guide. Attempt to rotate the lifters in the guide while looking for a crack in the guide.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was thinking fuel pump failure as well so does that range pretty much rule out the fuel pump or do I have to do a pressure test on a fuel system

The cat code won't affect the way it runs, but if it's running poorly enough it can set a false cat code.

You will probably need to check the fuel pump pressure reading to rule it out, but any noise from the valve cover area would make me more concerned about stuck lifters than anything else. They go bad all of the time on these engines.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah if I really get on it I do here Clank a couple times. I will try and pull off the valve cover and see if the rocker arms have any play

That's most likely the issue. If you end up removing the heads and replacing the lifters be sure to use name brand lifters. The Dorman brand lifters don't last very long.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician