Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a 2014 Silverado with 18" wheels. Due to a recent knee…

Customer Question
Have a 2014 Silverado...

Have a 2014 Silverado with 18" wheels. Due to a recent knee replacement I am having great difficulty getting in and out of the truck even with running boards.Can I replace the 18" s with 16"s ? Or is there a better solution ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

24600 miles and is in perfect shape....well it could use a bath!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am 68, disabled Viet Nam vet, and I am smart enough to know I need advice !

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

You sure look cute in the photo

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/12/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

16" rims will hit the callipers so going that small won't work.

I feel the better solution is a lowering kit. This will work provided you don't have big bumps around. This uses a shorter spring and modifies the rear to put the spring under the axle where it lowers a great deal.

Aside from that you could change to the 17" tire and drop the sidewall profile, but that will cause a reduction in ride quality.

Thanks

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)