Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

They key is sticking in the ignition...sometimes it won't…

Customer Question
Hi, they key is...

Hi, they key is sticking in the ignition...sometimes it won't turn all the way to the off position so the key won't come out. Sometimes I put the key in to start the truck and it won't turn far enough to start the engine. This is a problem...I am either stuck, unable to start my engine, or I have to leave the truck with the key in it and in a position where it will drain the battery. I know this is a problem with the Colorado. I want to know Chevy has determined the cause and has notified dealers how to fix it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I cannot turn the steering wheel. The key is not damaged. I have tried using my spare key and the same thing happens.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2016 Chevy Colorado Duramax Diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went to the store and was unable to get the key out of the ignition, so I started it and drove to the dealership. One of the mechanics spent 5 minutes wiggling the shift lever and pushing the button in and out and finally it released.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It stuck today when I was trying to start the truck, so obviously it wasn't related to the shifter (or it would have gotten stuck when I parked). I had to call my so to come and get me as I was away from home. He says he forced the key into the on position with sheer muscle, but I think there must be some sensor that is shorting or something.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/12/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 5 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

What is your VIN?

1gcptde15g1222116
No, I don't want to call you...I don't want to pay 26 dollars, or even 5 dollars for you to tell me what is wrong with my 2016 40,000 dollar vehicle. I want this problem fixed and my dealer doesn't know how to do it, so I'm asking you

Sorry then, I won't be able to help you. The nature of this site is to offer assistance for pay, and if you are not wanting to pay, then I will send you over to customer service where they can assist you with a refund.

Have a good day.

Thanks...I will never buy another Chevy/GM vehicle