Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Having a no start on my truck. No fire coming from the coil…

Having a no start...

Having a no start on my truck. No fire coming from the coil to the plugs. New coil installed, same situation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes headlights come on. Battery charged. Everything else powers up and functions.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1996 Chevrolet Silverado. 5.7 Liter engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested for spark to plugs, directly from coil, no spark. With a test light have power coming to and out of ecm, but not sure of voltage. Checked ignition fuses and all look good. Replaced coil, still not spark.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

If you put your test light across the two wires going to the coil at the connector and crank the engine, does your test light flash on and off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are 3 wires to the coil.
But with the ignition on there is power from a red wire.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which 2 wires would I connect to?

You're right, I'm sorry. Pins A and C, the pink wire and the white/black wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cool I see them. Do I connect to both and try to turn it over?

Yes, just run your test light between A and C, then crank the engine. We should see that light flash on and off rapidly as it cranks over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me just a minute. I'm having someone come out to help

No problem, I'm standing by.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm still waiting for someone to help. But what will it mean if I don't get a rapid spark? Is it the ecm?

If you don't get a rapid flash when you crank, that typically means the ICM (ignition control module) is bad. If that happens, check power to the pink wire pin A, and ground to the black/white wire pin C at the ICM. The ICM is right next to the coil, the white/black wire you're currently testing leads directly to it. If power and ground are good, put a new ICM in it, and you should motor away from there.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok got no rapid spark.
On the icm I've got a black with white stripe and a whit with black stripe. (I thought this was the pcm btw)

White with a black stripe is the one you just tested, at the coil. It's the same wire, just the other end of it.

Black with a white stripe is the ICM ground. Pink should have power. If you have those two things, put a new ICM in it.

One more thing: when you're cranking it, can you hear the fuel pump running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the fuel pump comes on to prime.
With pink wire from coil connecting to ground wire I get no light.
But to be clear, am I connecting to the wire that comes out of the icm, or to the pin that is on the icm?

You're testing the wire, not the ICM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No light comes on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The light does come on at the black with white stripe though, which I'm guessing is a true ground.

Yes, it is. Power on pink, ground on black/white.

I would put an ICM in this, but first I would check to make sure the pump is running when you CRANK it, not just when you first turn it on. Can you verify that? It should run for a couple of seconds after you stop cranking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I check it?
You should be able to hear it if you listen carefully
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sounded like it always has, I've owned the truck for 11 years.
Replaced icm last night...still didn't start.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sounded like it always has, I've own the truck for 11 years.
(I replaced the fuel pump about 3 or 4 months ago, so I don't think there should be an issue there)
I replaced the icm last night. Still didn't start.

OK. This is what I was trying to address before you replaced the ICM. When you turn the key on, you get the two second pump prime, then it shuts off. When you crank the engine, the pump starts running again, and usually runs for a second or two after you stop cranking, if it doesn't start. This is what I was looking for: to see if it was running when/after you crank the engine over a bit.

You have no flashing light when cranking? I think I misread that yesterday when I was helping you, because I directed you to put an ICM in it, I was under the impression that you had a flashing light. I'm sorry about that.

It appears that you have no crank signal. If you have a scan tool, you can hook it up and see the RPM data. If it's zero when you're cranking it, you need to find the issue with the crank position sensor circuit (in other words, put a crank sensor in it and see if it starts, if not, see if you can find/repair any broken or chafed wiring on the crank sensor wiring).

Did you get this worked out?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was the cranksaft sensor. Up and running!
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician