Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Stability sys disabled; service 4wd; no traction control…

Stability sys disabled; service...

Stability sys disabled; service 4wd; no traction control icon on in gauge cluster 2005 suburban xl 5.3 Where ndo I start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

This just started this week. trying to find fix. this will determine if i do it myself or take to mechanic/dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. when this is happening the transfer case selector switch lights normally don't come on and earlier today the DIC messages were gone and the selector switch showed a red light for neutral with no lights visible for 2wh/4wh/4wl. so fat the vehicle has driven like being in 2wh. When messages are on no lights visible on tc switch and will not shift to other modes 4wh/4wl.

3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

This is typically due to a faulty switch, but diagnostics are definitely recommended, as this can go in a different direction pretty easily. Also, the 4WD stuff is almost certainly unrelated to the stability system issue.

Scan tool diagnostics are available for these issues, and highly recommended, and for that reason, my advice is take this to your favorite repair shop for diagnosis and repair. It requires equipment that most DIY types don't own.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you are referring to the transfer case switch correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This seems to happen when it's cool/cold and/or damp/wet.

Yes, the big problem we had with these was the selector switch on the dash. DTC B2725 would be the trouble code that gives it away, but you can't read that code without a capable scan tool.

This could also be a variety of communications and other issues, though, so don't run right out and spend $80 on a selector switch. Spend $80 with your local mechanic first, and let him figure out what the problem is. That will be money well spent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any chance sensors could be involved. Possibly a short. I believe I looked at the ones going to the front wheels. They looked ok. I think there are one or two that go the the rear wheels also but haven't run them down yet. You indicate you don;t think the service 4wd and the stability system disabled are related. What can be the causes of the DIC messages for system disabled and no traction control? How safe is the vehicle to drive with these conditions? What about the fact that this situation comes and goes? These messages are not always present.

If you had wheel speed sensor issues, you'd have an ABS light on, along with traction and stability indicators.

Whatever is affecting the 4wd can also be affecting the stability system, like if there is a power supply issue at the fuse block. But the two systems work independently from one another, at least in theory. I try to avoid going looking for a common link on things like this because it will drive you nuts. Pick one concern, and track that down, and if that solves all of the concerns, then great, but you can't go into it trying to solve them all at once.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How safe is the vehicle to drive?

It's safe to drive. Stability system is apparently disabled, but stability only engages in panic situations, icy roads, etc. anyway. If you drive it normally, it's fine to drive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any truth to the rumor it can shift transfer case modes on it's own? What about the fact that this comes and goes. There's a good chance that when I go to work tomorrow the DIC will be void of messages and everything appears normal.

Theoretically, it is NOT able to shift modes on its own. There is a lock inside the shift motor that keeps it from moving unless the lock is energized. So it takes two separate circuits working to allow the transfer case to shift, and this is very unlikely to happen by accident.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the 2nd question on my last reply?

The fact that it comes and goes, is that the question you're referring to?

That's the nature of computer issues and electrical issues. Poor connections, whether it's a wire connection, a connector, or a circuit board solder connection, are susceptible to temperature, humidity, vibration and other variables. It's not unusual at all to have something like this intermittently. We see it literally every day in this business.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Thanks for the info. I like to have some idea of what's going on when I talk to the mechanic.

You're welcome! Good luck with it, if you get there and they're speaking a foreign language or something to you, and you want to run it by me before committing to them, just let me know. I can break down these trouble codes and make sure they're treating you right.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician