Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 Cobalt ignition locked with key in it after wreck,

2006 Cobalt ignition locked...

2006 Cobalt ignition locked with key in it after wreck, started a few times, now will not turn over will be trying to jumpstart, think have to do the relearn while it is charging, luckily it is in Friend's driveway.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes,

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Key is fine, car just does not release it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My son is helping but he is exhausted and sleeping right now, was hoping can do charge and relearn in same 30 minutes. Chevy's are good, I hit ice, then a guardrail, got 3 scratches from my vanity mirror and some sorenes, I am fairly tall my head hit the roof if the car.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The security system wouldn't stop it from turning over but would prevent it from starting. Does it turn over but not start or not even turn over? Thanks.

Does not make any sound now, but had started, then tried to start, think battery had been disconnected to prevent drain on it. Door chimes, clock and windows worked, slow but worked. Think I saw the car and padlock emblem lit up yesterday. It was on the lower right of 2 rows lit up. The car started and drove here 2 weeks ago.
Not yet, but if we still have trouble later, we might.vThank you.

I think your battery is shot. Monitor battery voltage while trying to start, it should maintain at least 11v. If it doesn't maintain voltage then battery will need to be charged, if it still doesn't hold voltage it needs to be replaced. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. My goal is to provide 5 star service so make sure to let me know if you need anything, thanks.

E​ver get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

O'Reillys charged my battery. There is a button under the flap on the underside of the steering column that releases the key. Had an adventure but it is home.

Good to hear you got it figured out, thanks for update and please do not forget to rate answer.

Dan, Technician