Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an issue with acceleration on a Chevy city express.

I have an issue...

I have an issue with acceleration on a Chevy city express

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Its a 2015 that recently had a front end collision. I have not checked the fuel filters

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I replaced the cooling fan, radiator ac condenser. When I start the engine there is acceleration but then it stops

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was driven when it was damaged to the point of overheating

3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

When you say it stops, what do you mean exactly? Does the engine shut down? Is there a check engine light or other message on the dash?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It continues to run but no acceleration. Check engine light is on.

OK, good. Do you have a scan tool or a way to retrieve the trouble codes from the computer on this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

The trouble codes are vital clues to what's going on here. The computer has the ability to shut down the throttle, and it sounds like it's doing just that, and to find out why, we need trouble codes, at a minimum, and perhaps more diagnostic data than that.

If you don't have the ability to get this information, this repair is going to be beyond your capabilities, and you'll need to get this to a mechanic that has the equipment to diagnose and repair this issue. It appears to be a throttle issue, but there is no way of knowing this without the computer information accessed via scan tool.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks

You're welcome. If you get some information out of it and want to run it by me, I am happy to follow up with you.

Please remember to click the stars at the top of the page to rate my answers before you go.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician