Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lost the keys. 2000 2 door sport utility. I got the plastic…

Customer Question
Lost the keys Mechanic's...

Lost the keys

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Nope

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2000 2 door sport utility

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I got the plastic off the column, they say there r two screws holdint swithch on. i found one

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
i was told that i can take vin no. to chevrolet dealer and they could get me a new key. is this true? if not! do i have to pull the steering wheel off to change key switch.
3/11/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer.

Yes you can take your VIN to the dealer and get the keys made.

You will also need your driver license and prof of ownership.

Was this helpful?

Do you still need help replacing the key cylinder?