Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2003 Avalanche 1500 4X4 seems like trans is not

I have 2003 Avalanche...

I have 2003 Avalanche 1500 4X4 seems like trans is not shifting into 4thgear I changed both shift solenoids and filter

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It's the original 2003 as far as I know there hasn't been any leakage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed both A and B shift solenoids and filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Do you have a scan tool that allows you to look at data, or command the transmission?

no I dont

OK. An important thing to do here is to have a scan tool and see whether the computer is commanding 4th gear or not. Are you sure it's only 4th gear that you don't have? You feel a definite 1-2 and 2-3 shift?

It seems like it does it was running 55 mph at 3000 rpm

The only thing that would stop 4th gear only would be a leaking servo piston, it's on the passenger side of the transmission. Not typically a DIY repair, unless you're comfortable with taking that apart and figuring it out. The only difference between 3rd and 4th gear is the application of this band at the front of the transmission (inside it, of course).

Before doing this, I would want to put a scan tool to it and make sure the computer is actually commanding 4th gear. We don't have a way to know that, there could be an issue with the park/neutral switch or some other input that is inhibiting 4th gear, it's an important step, so I wouldn't gloss over this.

I really recommend professional diagnosis on this, you can spend a lot of money and time (and you have already) on wrong guesses. 90 bucks worth of diagnosis will point the way, almost certainly, and would be money well spent.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician