Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No rear speakers working. 2008 yukon. Tried hooking up

No rear speakers working ...

No rear speakers working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2008 yukon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried hooking up aftermarket tweeters in the rear and all of a sudden all the rear speakers stopped working

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

No sound even when the fade turned to the rear
3/10/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

There were different radio systems for these trucks, and the schematics vary depending on which one you have. Can I have your VIN so I can see which radio system you have?

1GKFC13058R136767

OK. Your truck has a separate audio amplifier. It sounds like the amplifier lost the rear channel.

The amplifier has the ability to shut off a whole channel if it detects something wrong, like a short circuit. Did you take the extra speakers back out and restore the system to original, and try it again?

I’ve tried that

OK. This is going to be an amplifier failure, then. The radio sends signals to the amp digitally over a serial data line, it doesn't directly control speaker or channel output, it simply tells the amplifier the bass, treble, fade, balance, etc inputs and the amplifier responds accordingly.

If the amplifier has no output from a whole channel, then the amp has failed and needs to be replaced.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

It works sometimes and stop every now and then

Did you replace the amplifier?

Not yet, can I bypass it?

No, it won't work at all without an amp, for the reasons I explained earlier: there is no dedicated speaker outputs from the radio, it's digital signal to the amp, which drives the speakers.

An amplifier can be found in a junkyard for probably $50 or so. There's no reason to buy it new from the dealer while junkyard are full of these things. I would call around to local yards and have them find you a factory amplifier for it, and replace it.

Ok, good deal!

:-)

Don't forget my rating, that's how I get compensated. Click the stars to rate my answers.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician