Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Blazer ZR2 4wd won't engage, in drive the button does…

Customer Question
2004 Blazer ZR2 4wd won't...
2004 Blazer ZR2 4wd won't engage, in drive the button does nothing, in neutral both hi and lo buttons blink 5 times then it goes back to 2hi. It does shift into 4lo. Tried disconnecting the battery for 30min.and it started working again but temporarily. Also changed the TCCM and replaced a corroded vacuum line on the firewall but nothing changed, Could it be the encoder motor?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/10/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

It probably is the encoder motor, but there are diagnostics for this.

Do you have an AUTO button on your transfer case shifter? Or just 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO?

No auto button, just 2hi, 4hi, and 4lo

DTC Displaying

1. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
  2. Connect PIN 13 on the data link cable (DLC) to a ground. The DLC is located in the cab under the instrument panel on the driver's side.
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. Observe the transfer case shift control switch select buttons for flashing codes. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List.

Important: If the transfer case shift control switch buttons all blink only once and then stop, no fault codes are stored in the transfer case shift control module.

• When one DTC is stored in memory, that code will blink that number of times followed by a 3 second pause and then repeat.
  • If more than one code is stored, the first code will blink, followed by a 3 second pause and then the second code will blink.
  • This sequence will continue until PIN 13 on the DLC is no longer grounded.
  • If the TCCM will not communicate the presence or absence of DTCs, test the above circuits in Self-Test Step 2. If the circuits are complete, then replace the TCCM. Refer to Transfer Case Shift Control Module Replacement.

Did you make any headway with this?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.