Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I replaced the alternator last winter with a lifetime

Customer Question
I replaced the alternator...

I replaced the alternator last winter with a lifetime guaranteed alternator and it has stopped charging

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?

No change in headlights the battery is good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

The tow truck driver said no output from alt when he tested it

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Chevy?

2005 chevy aveo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have pulled off the air intake to get at it and jacked up removed panel under fender

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 1 month ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

So, are you putting another alternator in it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
r u going to help me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
r u going to help
I want step by step instruction
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello

Sorry, I had to step away from my desk for a few minutes.

Let me get that procedure for you. Stand by.

Here it is, for all Aveo's unless you have a 1.2L engine (uncommon). Let me know if you need anything else, and again, I'm sorry I got pulled away from my desk, didn't mean to leave you hanging.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there any thing I should check first before removing it?

How did you determine that it's not charging, is the battery light on, or did you use a multimeter, or what have you done to diagnose it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the alt light is not on but it was not on last winter when the original alt stopped charging at 108,000 miles
the tow truck driver tested this one when it stopped on me

OK, so it ran out of electricity as you were driving, and you were stranded with a dead battery, is that the scenario?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the day it stopped charging I had gone out and started it to warm up.
I was in the house for quite awhile when I came out it was not running.
I put the charger on it and went ton store . I let it idle while in store came out it was not running

OK. Here are a few things you should test first to confirm the alternator is bad.

1. Verify the large Red wire has a good connection to the 100 amp fuse and has battery voltage at the alternator.

2. Unplug the 2 wire connector from the alternator. Verify the Pink wire will light up a sealed high beam headlight when the ignition is turned on.

3. Ground the Dark Blue wire, verify the charge light on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminates.

4. If all OK, replace the alternator.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Is this working for you now?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician