Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 gmc pick up...we installed a resistor in the antitheft…

Customer Question
2006 gmc pick up...we...

2006 gmc pick up...we installed a resistor in the antitheft system , it worked for a weeks. Now it only starts when its wants to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Turns over fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 GMC?

2500 ho

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/10/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 5 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Resistor is not a very reliable means of bypassing the theft deterrent. The reason is that the BCM is looking for a very specific voltage from the theft deterrent module, and you're trying to fake that voltage with a resistor. But the voltage on the back side of the resistor varies depending on what the voltage is at the front side, so unless you have a really reliable electrical system with a consistent voltage, the back side voltage will be a little different from time to time.

My recommendation is to just repair what's really wrong with the theft deterrent system in the first place. If it needs a new lock housing, just put one in it, program it, and not only will it be more reliable, it will make it harder for someone to steal your truck!

:-)

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Did you get this worked out?