Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Had to replace ignition switch and vehicle will not start…

Had to replace ignition...

Had to replace ignition switch and vehicle will not start and vehicle will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 Chevy Trailblazer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself I've tried to turn the key on leaving it on for 10 minutes I tried grounded boat battery cables together and leave it on for 30 minutes and it still

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

3/10/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Is the security light lit up with the key on?

No

OK, good. Why did you replace the ignition switch?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Phone call session started

Just to reiterate, so you have this in writing:

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

Let me know how it turns out!