Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its sat for a few weeks. now when a start it it will only…

Customer Question
Its sat for a...

Its sat for a few weeks. now when a start it it will only run for a few seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

I put a battery box on it because it was dead

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

04 gmc yukon 5.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Id like too. i sprayed mass flow sensor cleaner on the sensor itself as well as the throttle butterfly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/10/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Have you tried a different key by chance, and... is the security light on?

i havent tried a different key. the security comes on w the key in the on position then goes off before i start the engine.then after the engine dies all the dash lights are on with the exception of check engine

Will it restart immediately?

and then does the same thing? can you keep it running if you step on the throttle?

runs just as long even if i give it throttle

Just so I understand, giving it throttle makes no difference, it still stalls?

yeah it still dies

just to cross this off the list, I'd like you to try another key - this should rule out an immobilizer issue

ok, ill have to go get another one cut. is that a somewhat common problem

whoa - hang on... don't get another one...

ok

If you have one key, and this is the one you've always used, then let's go down another path...

Is this a flex fuel vehicle?

ive been using it for probaly a month or more. i misplaced the origanal

flex fuel? there is a bulletin that may be applicable

im not sure if its flexfuel. ive never used it as such. it a 04' 5.3

OK - this is the info -

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle may not start, experience lack of power and/or driveability concerns.

Some customers may comment that the vehicle appears to be out of fuel but the fuel gauge reads above empty.

Cause

There are two possible causes for this condition:

Important:
^ The first possible cause is contaminates in the fuel may plug/restrict the fuel strainer on the bottom of the fuel module.

^ The second possible cause is that the vehicle is actually out of fuel but the fuel gauge reads that there is sufficient fuel in the tank . This condition is caused by contaminates on the fuel sender card, causing inaccurate fuel gauge readings.

Models:
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade
2002-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

with 5.3L V8 MFI Engine and Flexible Fuel E85 (VIN Z - RPO L59)

In the glove box, there should be a whit sticker with a bunch of 3 letter codes. I'm looking for L59

No L59 but the fuel light Is on. i wonder if im simply just out of fuel. ill run into town and grab 5 Gallons

OK. I'm going to be out of the office until tomorrow, but let me know what happens, but I'll check your posting in a couple of hours. If you need more assistance, I'll put the question out to other experts.

ok Thanks
unfortunately that wasnt it either.im going to look for that other key because i sprayed some mass air flow sensor cleaner in there and it runs for a few more seconds and that security light was on
It may be thinking that you are trying to steal it, but why it decided to go into theft mode is a mystery
i was reading that the security light should stay on for ten minutes after it shuts off. im not sure if that is true but its only staying on for aboubt five seconds after the engine dies. Ive now hooked up jumper cables to my work truck to try to give it a solid charge. if the battery had a bad cell... that wouldnt keep it fro, running right?
Well, I think that the key has to be out of the ignition to operate as you have suggested. I've seen some odd operation from a bad battery, usually rough and irratic idling.
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Can you post your VIN

sure its 1GKEC13T14J101593

SO this is not a flex fuel engine. It could be security, and this engine does not use a chip key, rather its a sensor the measures rotation of the ignition cylinder. Below is the relearn. Can you try that. Should it not work then we need to look at live engine data to see whats happening. If there is a sensor it, it would be causing this.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span. After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again. It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned. During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.