Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I got a 1999 chevy tahoe 4x4. Took it to a shop to put a…

I got a 1999...

I got a 1999 chevy tahoe 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to a shop to put a motor in when i went and got it. it now seem like it is in 4wd low

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When i switch the key on all the lights come on on the 4x4 switch but then go out and i press all the button and it want light up also the service 4x4 light is on in the dash and some times i here a clicking in the dash

3/10/2018
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. Hope I can help.

How many buttons on the*****switch?

Do you have a scan tool that can read codes for the*****module?

Thank you

4 button 2h 4h 4l auto and a natural light and I do not have a tool to read*****module

Have you tried this?

Disconnect both battery cables and touch the cables together.

This will rest the system.

Ok can u give me a list to do so I can try later today

Also try starting engine putting trans in neutral. Than push 4 high or 2wd button.

If you can get to a auto part store they maybe able to read the code.

Ok the modular couldnt be bad could it seeing the 4x4 switch light up when I switch the key on but then goes out

It is doing a bulb test. I think it does not know what gear it is in. So it just default by shutting all the lights out.

The fact it says service 4wd on the dash means there should be a code.

Most the time its a bad wire going to the encoder motor on the transfer case. It maybe a bad encoder motor.

GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
How can I put it in 2wd manually can I take the motor off the transfer case and turn something if so which way to turn it

Sorry for the delay just got home.

Yes you could remove the encoder/motor assembly.

When moving the shaft make sure your trans is in neutral. It will make it easier to move.

Not sure which way to move the shaft.

If you can wait I will be replacing a encoder/motor tomorrow. I will let you know on the shaft

Ok just let me know

I will

Thank you

Here is a picture when the lever in 2wd.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zuxi0wiydzxcjzd/AADkgEl5BD2-ZxngerBAc1E8a?dl=0
This was on a 2005 not sure if the shafts are the same.