Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu with the 2.2 liter engine and…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Chevy...
I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu with the 2.2 liter engine and automatic transmission. The vehicle has electronic steering system. The steering wheel vibrates under the following circumstances. The engine is idling, the transmission is in drive, the vehicle is not moving, the brakes are applied. The vibration stops when the transmission is put in neutral or when the brakes are released. The vibration does not occur when the vehicle is in gear and moving. I do not believe the problem is the motor mounts because I believe if it were the motor mounts that the vibration would be evident when the vehicle is in neutral or when the vehicle is in drive and moving.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/10/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

Well actually it is the engine mounts. They get weak over time and will cause the vibration you are having. I had the same car with the same problem in the shop last month. Installed new mounts, problem solved. If you do the mounts, don"t use the aftermarket ones. The oem ones are a bit more expensive but they work perfectly.

.