Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The vehicle is a 2005 Chevy Malibu with the 2.2 liter

Customer Question
The vehicle is a...

The vehicle is a 2005 Chevy Malibu with the 2.2 liter engine. The steering wheel vibrates when the engine is idling and the transmission is in drive and the vehicle is at a stop light and the brakes are applied. In other words, I'm stopped at a red light. The vibration stops when I take my foot off the brake and begin moving or when I put the car in neutral. There is no other problem with the steering. There is no vibration with the steering wheel when the car is in motion.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

The brake fluid is fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I have not worked on this problem myself. I have identified the problem (i.e., the vehicle steering wheel vibrates) and determined when the vibration is occurring (i.e., the vibration only occurs when the vehicle is in gear and idling at a stop light, and the vibration does not occur when the car is idling and in neutral gear).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vehicle has the electronic steering system. I think that's everything. Thanks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/9/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Eddie, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

This problem is usually solved by replacing the engine mounts. While I like to replace them all because they are all 13 years old now and have equal wear, but the one that will likely help your vibration in the steering wheel the most is the top mount of the passenger inner fender well. What happens is the engine "sags" somewhat over time in the engine compartment, then the engine vibration is transmitted through the body and you wind up feeling it in the steering wheel. You can get all the mounts online for 100$ or less. I wouldn't go with the cheapest mounts. I like rockauto.com for mounts. One thing you can do to test it is this, get a floor jack, and while the vehicle is idling and you feel it in the steering wheel, just jack the engine up by the oil pan maybe a 1/2 inch or so and see if it changes the vibration on the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure you will notice it does and likely even goes away. I'm confident that will fix it. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

If the problem was the engine mounts, then, wouldn't the vibration be evident when the vehicle is in motion? And, if the problem was the engine mounts, then, wouldn't the vibration be evident when the vehicle is running and in neutral? Why would the vibration be occurring only when the vehicle is stoppped and in gear?

Not all the time, because your torquing the engine slightly when your sitting still and it's in gear. vs. rolling the engine neutralizes a bit.

It goes away slightly when you put it in neutral at idle correct?

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

I agree problem is engine mounts. There isn't as much strain on mounts when vehicle is already moving or at a stop in neutral. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.