Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 extended cabwith a 5.3 liter

I have a 2001 Chevy...
I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 extended cab*****with a 5.3 liter engine. The transmission quit shifting would go in the first sometimes and then at other times acted like it was starting in third. I put a brand new transmission in it from advance Auto Parts. It does the same thing I took it to the transmission shop down the road and they said it could be the speed sensor in which they replaced it and still did the same thing. Then he checked and he said the transmission is not getting a signal to shift. The speed sensor is working but he doesn't know if the speed sensor to the computer wire is broke or the computer back to the transmission wire is broke or if the computer is bad. I have no way to tell which wire on the computer I'm supposed to have signal from the speed sensor and which wire on the computer is supposed to go back to the transmission to tell it to shift. Can anyone help?
3/9/2018
Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

When it's starting off in 3rd gear, if you manually put it in low gear does it take off in first gear then? thank you.

The transmission guy said he can manually shift it with his computer.

Alright, if he can manually shift it with his computer, then the wires from the ECM to the transmission are good. Was the check engine light on by chance? if so do you know what code was stored?

only code was speed sensor and we put new on in it and same code came on again

Alright, It didn't even help at all even for a little while? thanks.

no put in gear and code came back

Interesting, then the first thing I would do would be to ohm out the wires from the ECM to the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) then and make sure those wires are good. if those wires are good and it's a brand new sensor, I would have to hook an advanced scan tool up to the truck and read off the VSS data. if it's showing zero, that's a problem, but if it's showing the same speed that the truck is going and you still have that code it's possible it could be the ECM itself. but that's rare. Do you know if he checked the resistance in the wires from the VSS to the ECM?

no he did not he only rebuild them. I ask in original question if some one had the wiring diagram off the computer be cause I do not know which wire to check

Alright, give me just a few minutes here. Thank you.

I have 2 speed sensors. 1 on right side of transfer case has solid green and solid purple and the one on left side has w/green and a purple/white

Alright, let me look into this, thank you.

The wires we want to check are on the left side of the trans. it's the WHITE/GREEN and PURPLE/WHITE. They go to pins 20 and 21 on at connector C2 at the ECM.

Did you have a p0502 code? What codes are in it now if you can scan it. thank you.

I'll check tomorrow

Alright, sounds good. Thank you.

no codes but battery died so i am driving it now to see if code comes back
Alright let me know what they are if they come back thank you
its code p0502 twice
Alright, can you ohm out the wires from the sensor to the ECM? Should be less than 3 ohms resistance.
ok I forgot to mention the speedometer does not work also

Alright, I would make sure those wires are good from the VSS to the ECM first. the instrument cluster gets it's signal from the ECM. So they are related in my opinion.

I have no reading on the ohms for the wires key on or off. also on the diagram it shows a vehicle speed sensor adapter . Where is it because I can not find it

Where the wires come from the sensor and go to the harness, there's an adaptor, like a sub harness going to the sensor. That's what they are calling the adaptor.

ok

It may shed a little more light on it.

Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician
fixed it thank you